Sunday, September 5, 2010


The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.



I remember the day that I received a copy of the proclamation.


My faithful home teacher brought me over a copy. I remember sitting and reading it and having an overwhelming feeling come over me that the decisions that I had just made, were the right decisions for my family and myself.


I had always thought that you get married and live happily ever after...the end.


That is not how it always works out.


I would never wish divorce on any family unless circumstances are 'in the safety of your family'.


Because of bad decisions on my part-I was faced with many circumstances and hardships in the safety of my family and I still do face many hardships because I did not rear my children up as I should have.


The difference today is, because of a wise daughter and many loving family members and a faithful home teacher-I have the gospel in my life, I have a husband that honors his priesthood and me. He treats my (grown) children as his children. We work together for the things that are most important in life-each other and our family. I really thought that the proclamation was mine, written for me and it is.


How grateful I am for a living prophet who is so inspired by a loving Heavenly Father. I testify that our Heavenly Father does listen and hear our pleads. It is our responsibility to listen for the answers. The Proclamation was the answer to my prayer at a time that I really needed it and when I was willing to listen.

0 comments: